"the gladdest moment in human life is a departure into unknown lands" Sir Richard Burton
Build Your Own or Set Itineraries?
At Authentic Travel Africa, our almost 40 years on the continent offers you the Traveller an unrivalled resource to plan your visit in an authentic and ethical manner.
Our Trip Designers will work with you not only in the detailed planning of your holiday but are also in regular contact during your visit to ensure you have the very best experience possible. We specialise in planning holidays that avoid “tourist traps”, enabling our guests to experience the “Real Africa”, whether you are looking for a Safari, local Culture and vibrant People, spectacular scenic beauty, inspiring Art, or to explore the country behind the scenes, off the beaten track.
Our Team offers a Personal Design Service to ensure that your visit is uniquely curated just for you, to be both memorable and authentic.
Why Authentic Travel Africa?
We firmly believe that we are custodians of our planet for future generations and have a responsibility to ensure that our clients leave with far more than the same old images seen in tourist brochures.
As a division of parent organisation WALTHERS DBS, Authentic Travel Africa is a “Fair Trade in Tourism” approved partner and has won numerous awards for our efforts in Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. We are signatories to the “Born to Live Wild” campaign against unethical animal interactions, and are actively involved in supporting threatened wildlife through our sponsorship of “The Black Mambas”, an all-female anti-poaching unit based in South Africa’s Kruger National Park. Our involvement ensures that each member of the unit enjoys sufficient Life and Medical cover related to their incredibly high-risk job. We also together with our clients have for over 12 years supported EZWENI School, through a joint foundation with KPMG Meijburg as well as several other community projects. We also plant a tree for each and every one of our guests through a donation to “Food and Trees for Africa.
Safety during your visit to our country is of critical importance to us, and all of our suppliers are regularly audited in terms of their safety processes to ensure that they have the necessary permits, procedures and Public Liability Cover. We are World Travel and Tourism Council compliant in terms of safety and proudly display the “WTTC” Safe Travels logo. Africa’s wide-open spaces make it perfect for those concerned about social distancing.
Although we strongly urge Comprehensive Travel-specific Insurance is taken out prior to travel, all of our guests are covered by our significant EU Travel Law-compliant Public Liability and Emergency Medical evacuation policy covering some 20 African countries.
Trust is Important
We understand that parting with your hard-earned money to a business that you may never have worked with before can be uncomfortable. Authentic Travel Africa’s parent company, Walthers DBS, is SATSA (Southern African Tourism Services Association) Bonded, ensuring that your deposits are secure. Additionally, all payments are placed into our “Trust Account” and only ever utilised for payments for your actual travel arrangements. We honestly do not want to know your credit card details, and all card payments must be done virtually through a trusted Secure Online Payment portal. Walthers does not reflect any revenue until after you have returned home and all suppliers have been paid. This process is regularly audited, and a letter of confirmation from our auditors is available on request.
We have references from thousands of happy guests, many of whom travel with us repeatedly.
Ten good reasons why you should be using Authentic Travel Africa by Walthers
- A company with a proud 40-year history in Individual Travel, as well as Incentive, Conference and Leisure Group travel.
- A 2nd generation family-owned business, with Management hands-on every step of the way.
- Financial Peace of Mind: Authentic Travel Africa is financially bonded with SATSA (the Southern African Tourism Services Association) through its parent company Walthers.
- Comprehensive Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance covering more than 20 African countries, and documented supplier Due Diligence.
- Professional Emergency Response including Medical Treatment/Evacuation to the nearest medical facility for all our clients in most of the countries in which we operate.
- Risk Assessment Service available on request: Authentic Travel Africa complies with both WTTC and local Safety Protocols.
- Award winning Service and Professionalism, with multiple international accolades and 6 SITE Crystal Awards.
- True African specialists – our passionate staff have travelled and run events throughout the sub-continent; we know and understand this destination.
- Authentic Travel Africa’s international and local industry reputation and influence ensure extensive Buying Power and the best negotiated rates.
- International representation in the USA, UK, Benelux, Germany, Mexico and Brazil, and a proud member of Euromic and DMC Reps.
Throughout our almost 40 years as a family-owned and managed company, our business has built an enviable reputation based on trust and delivering exceptional service to our clients.
People are the cornerstone of the business, and Walthers is fortunate to have a committed, enthusiastic and loyal team, many of whom have been with the company for more than 10 years.
- Walthers is an accredited and financially Bonded member of SATSA.
- Daryl Keywood is an International Board member of SITE Global and ex-President of SITE Southern Africa.
- Walthers is fully insured through SATIB, which is covered by Lloyds of London.
- Walthers completes a process of Due Diligence on every supplier, with copies of their latest insurance policy kept on file.
- Walthers has a documented Covid-19 Policy, an In-house Health & Safety Policy, as well as the Covid-19 Safe Travel Stamp.
- Click HERE for the Walthers COVID-19 Policy.